As a skilled software engineer with expertise in distributed systems design and implementation and scalability, I have contributed to both commercial and open-source projects. My experience in designing and deploying cloud-native architectures, particularly in big data environments, has been invaluable in helping organizations achieve their engineering goals.
My track record of delivering successful projects and technical leadership have made me a valuable asset to teams. I possess expertise in distributed systems, systems engineering, networking, virtualisation, operating systems, performance, concurrency and functional programming.
I also like about various topics including Kubernetes, compilers and distributed systems in general to my blog.
Sila programming language (2023 - Present)
- Sila is a programming language that, like all new languages, has somewhat optimistic aspirations. Implemented in Common Lisp, it includes sophisticated type system and garbage collection. Currently targeting x86-64 and aarch64. Sila’s development log available here: https://topikettunen/blog/tag/sila
TOPS (Topi’s Own Plugin Suite) (2019 - Present)
- TOPS is a work in progress plugin suite for VST/AAX/AU audio plugins mainly created for various personal needs. This includes different DSP and MIDI tools. These have been mainly built as closed source but recently I have started the process of open sourcing what I can.
DevOps Consultant (November 2020 - Present)
Co-designed and implemented large-scale distributed stream processing systems for data engineering platform, collaborating with customer to ensure solution met business needs and delivered exceptional performance.
Played key role in Kubernetes-based PaaS solution for large enterprise customer, overseeing engineers and delivering widely adopted project. Participated in technical architecture and design and mentoring junior team members.
Helped another enterprise customer in network and identity and access management architecture in their migration from onsite to cloud (Azure) leading a team of developers.
Comiq (acquired by Alten)
Senior Software Engineer (August 2019 - November 2020)
- Designed and implemented a distributed system on top of Kubernetes, leading multiple customer teams in migrating from monolithic to microservices architecture. Provided technical leadership and guidance to ensure a scalable, efficient system met the customer’s business needs.
Software Engineer (June 2017 - August 2019)
Designed and implemented a comprehensive test automation management software for embedded devices, significantly reducing customer manual labor, which streamlined testing and debugging, resulting in significant time and resource savings for the customer.
Co-designed and implemented an RPA platform delivering RPA tasks as a service across various premises (bare-metal, cloud) to different applications, whether running in-browser or natively on desktops (locally or remotely). Leveraged technical expertise to provide exceptional performance and value to the customer.
- terraform-provider-azurerm - Implemented various features, including allowing to create AKS node public IP directly in the AKS’ agent pool profile.
Protocols: TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP, SMTP, DNS
Information Security: eBPF, SSH, SSL, TLS, x509 Certificate Management and PKIs, asymmetric and symmetric key cryptography, PGP, authN/authZ, Kerberos (krb5), HSM, TPM
OS: Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, macOS, Plan9
Databases: PostgreSQL, Prometheus, SQLite, MongoDB, Redis, MySQL/MariaDB, InfluxDB, Neo4j, CockroachDB
Cloud: Azure, Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, AWS, GCP
Big Data: Kafka, Flink, Spark, Hadoop
AI: TensorFlow, KubeFlow, PyTorch
Audio: DAW (Logic Pro, Ableton, Pro Tools), VST2/VST3, AU, AAX, JUCE, MAX, ASIO, LV2
Visual: TouchDesigner, openFrameworks, Cinder
Languages: Finnish (native), English (fluent), German (limited working proficiency), Swedish (basic), French (basic)
Bachelor’s degree, Information Technology, Haaga-Helia University of Applied Sciences - Helsinki, Finland (2017-2020)
- Emphasis on software engineering and security. I was able to find a job in my first year of university. Fortunately, due to this working experience, I was able to audit majority of my studies which allowed me to graduate year before expected.
- Vänrikki/Second Lieutanant, Combat Engineer Platoon Leader (2015)
- 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year